Things to remember during Shradha 2023 / Pitru Paksha 2023
1. On the day of Shradha 2023, the person who is doing ‘sharadhakarma’ and the Brahmin who is performing the ritual, should follow celibacy.
2. Black & Red colour flowers, strongly scented and odorless flowers Kadamb, Kevada, Bilvapatra, Karvir, Maulsire, all these flowers should not be used for this ritual.
3. Never use an iron vessel for ‘shradhakarma’. Silver Vessels should always be used instead because these are favourite of ancestors.
4. Eating beetle leaf, taking oil massage, fasting, brushing of teeth(Datoon) and taking medicines are all prohibited for the person who is performing shradha.
5. One should not use Kasturi (Musk Deer), Gorochan, Rakt Chandan etc. in this ritual.
6. Eating food from outside sources for the person doing Shradha especially on Shradha day is strictly prohibited.
7. Lifting heavy weight, long distance travel and taking frequent meals is prohibited for the person doing Shradha.
8. Telling lies, using foul language, theft, infidelity all these should be avoided on shradha day as all these things make the ancestors angry and they put hurdles on the way of our progress and cause hardships.
9. The vegetable of Brinjal should never be cooked on the day of Shradha.
10. If a dog sees the cooked on the day of shradha, such food should be abandoned.
11. Food cooked for our ancestors should not be covered with used clothes and an iron vessel should not be used.
12. Donation of black sesame seeds are considered auspicious while doing Shradha.
13. The ‘pitras’ get satisfied with pure vegetarian food, fruits and cereals. Pure& hygienic food should be offered with full devotion to our ancestors so that they get pleased and bestow their blessing of happiness, progress and remove family discords.
14. ‘Kusha’ should be taken from the sacred religious place while performing Shradha.
15. If possible, shradha Karma should not be performed before sun rise, in shukla paksha, in night time or on the birthday of the person doing Shradha.
16. Keep apart five morsels of cooked food for a dog, sinner, leper, sick and for a crow on five leaves and perform ‘panchbali’.
17. Night, evening, dawn and dusk times should be avoided to perform ‘Shraadhkarma’.
18. Whomsoever ancestors died in war or by weapons they should do shraadh on ‘Chaturdashi’ fourteenth day of pitrapaksha.
19. As far as possible, on the day of Shraadh, only raw cereals, like wheat flour, rice flour or barley flour should be consumed. And, ‘pinddaan’ should also be done by the food made out of these flours.