Of all the creatures on this earth, it is only in the human form that God has given provision for self-realisation; which is the highest level of development a human can evolve to, while in the flesh..
From spiritual point of view the sole purpose of life is self-development in order to evolve to higher states of existence.
After many incarnations in different situations one may become aware of one’s negative qualities. Even after dawning of this awareness, it may take many more lives, before one gets busy seriously in removing these negative traits and for uplifting spiritual stature.
But it is never too late, if you are geared up, you can accomplish this gigantic task of self-transformation within a lifetime.
The beautiful words of AllamaIqbal in Urdu are very inspiring,
“khudi ko kar buland itna ke har takdeer se pehley khuda khud bande se yeh puche ki btateriraza kya hai’?
He says,“Raise your morale so high that before writing your destiny everytime, God asks for your opinion”
Important Points Regarding Recitation of Mantras…
• The best time for recitation of any mantra is when you feel physically and mentally relaxed.
• If you are agitated due to some reason then first of all take a deep and smooth breath through nostrils and exhale smoothly through open mouth over a much longer period of time. Repeat these for a couple of times till your mind settles-down only then start recitation.
• For recitations sit in any posture which is most comfortable
• Select a place where no one will disturb you during your recitations.
• The number of recitations for any mantra is important, but your eagerness to reach a certain number of counts may shift your focus from concentrating upon the meaning of what you are reciting so give more importance to quality of recitations
• I suggest that you forget about counting the recitations and focus on what you are reciting and feel the power being generated.
• The purpose of rosary (mala) is only for counting the recitations. If you decide to use a rosary then make sure that its beads (whatever material they are made of) are smooth and round so that the feel is good and does not cause irritation. It is best not to use a rosary so that your complete attention is on the words of the mantra.
Mantras for Self Development…
1. The Gayatri Mantra: Most effective mantra for self-development is the Gayatri Mantra:
“Om bhur bhuvah svah
Bhargo devasya dhimahi
Dhiyo yona? prachodayat”
This mantra says, “O’ God, the protector and the basis of all life, Who is self-existent, Who is free from all pains and Whose contact frees the soul from all troubles, Who pervades the Universe and sustains all, the Creator and Energizer of the whole Universe, the Giver of happiness,
Who is worthy of acceptance, the most excellent, Who is Pure and the Purifier of all, let us embrace that very God, so that He may direct our mental faculties in the right direction”
2. A Mantra of Tibetan Origin: This mantra is very popular among Tibetans. Its correct meaning is, “I salute to my over-self”. Regular recitations of this mantra can put man in conscious contact with the over-self or spirit.
“Om Mani (Ma-ni) Padme Hum”
3. A Mantra from Brihadaranyaka Upanishad: This is a spiritually transforming mantra and its regular recitation with faith and purity of mind followed by righteous living can give self-realisation.
The mantra means that ‘I am Brahma’ or the divine being. By reciting this mantra you give suggestion to your sub-conscious about the truth that you are not this body but the soul, spirit or Brahma which runs it. So a day will come in your life when you will experience this realisation.
Article by: Jyotirvid Pawan Kumar