Lunar eclipse on December 10, 2011
There is a total lunar eclipse on December 10, 2011 between 06-15 p.m. and 9-48 p.m. (IST). The eclipse will be visible in the region covering Africa, Europe, The Middle East, Asia, Australia, North America, Greenland, and Indian, Pacific, and Arctic Ocean. The eclipse is visible throughout India.
GENERAL SUGGESTIONS FOR EVERYONE LIVING IN REGIONS OF VISIBILITY OF THE ECLIPSE.
1. Avoid eating solid foods after 2:00 p.m. IST on 10th December 2011.
2. Fast during the duration of the eclipse and recite Divine Sthothras or do japas; the merit accrued by such recitals will be manifold. Spiritual people never let go an eclipse period without major occult performances – because the merits get multiplied many times and so attaining siddhis is easier during the eclipse duration.
3. Do not perform abhisheka or other outer forms of poojas during eclipse; only japas and meditation should be performed during eclipse duration.
4. Any activity that requires intense focus of mind can be performed during eclipse and you will see the good results for yourself.
5. Ideally a bath should be taken both at the beginning of the eclipse and at the end of the eclipse duration. If taking two baths like that is not feasible, at least a purificatory bath should be done at the end of the eclipse.
6. Those who have lost parents should perform the tarpana and other rituals in Honour of ancestors at the beginning of the solar eclipse (it should be done at the end of the lunar eclipse; this is for your information and guidance regarding dharma shastraic rules of tarpans during eclipses).
7. If you happen to be living in the region of visibility of the eclipse, you should put tulsi leaves or dharbha grass in all stored food items like pickles, jams, buttermilk, etc. and take those away after the eclipse.
8. Avoid using bed materials during eclipse – because if you do use pillows, etc. made of cloth, you need to wash them after the eclipse; it may not be feasible. This rule does not apply to woolen materials, and resins.
9. The ideal way to spend the time of eclipse is in recital – especially by the side of Holy Rivers in the region – like Cauvery, Aarni, Bhavani, Vaigai, etc. or by the side of temple tanks. Mantras to control poisons, to control elemental forces and evils, etc. will give immediate results during eclipse duration. So, those living in regions of visibility of the eclipse should capitalize on this period to detox their lives by powerful chants. This is an ideal period for mantra-initialization processes.
10. Pregnant women should avoid walking out if the eclipse is visible in their area - this is as per traditional taboos. Though some say that this is a superstition, I guess it is better to be safe rather than being sorry later:)
11. Those who intend to celebrate Karthigai deepam on this day should complete lighting the lamps and the offerings before 6:10 p.m. (light the lamps and offer naivedya between 5:40 p.m. and 6:10 p.m. IST), and put some dharbha grass on the offerings. Those dharbha grass pieces can be removed at the end of the eclipse and then the naivedya can be consumed.
SPECIAL REMEDIAL PERFORMANCE FOR THOSE NATIVES BORN UNDER THE ABOVE STARS AND LIVING IN AREAS OF VISIBILITY OF THE ECLIPSE
As per dharma shastras, when eclipse falls in the natal star, its trines, or on stars near one’s natal star (the star before or after one’s natal star), eclipse remedies should be performed to counteract the possible negative impact of the eclipse on one’s prospects…. Those born under Krittika, Rohini, Mrigaseersha, Sravana, and Hasta vedic stars and living in regions of visibility of this eclipse should perform Grahana remedies to counteract the possible malefic influence of this eclipse on their charts.
There are specific hymns to be recited invoking the Grace of the Ashtadig baalakaas Indra, Agni, Yama, Nirruti, Varuna, Vaayu, Kubera, Ishaana, and also the Trimurthis – Brahma, Vishu, and Lord Shiva to remove the eclipse impact if one’s natal star belongs to the list of stars afflicted by the eclipse.
Some pandits who are not knowledgeable of the above hymns will alternatively perform a Sarpa sooktha recital or Mahanyaasa Rudra recital. That is also perfectly acceptable and these remedies also work well.
Try to get in touch with knowledgeable pandits in your area if your area of residence falls in the visibility zone of the eclipse. Or, you may contact us for the performance of the eclipse remedy on your behalf; we will do the needful taking the sankalpa in your name and reciting the appropriate hymns for your benefit. You need to give your name, your nakshatra, rashi, and gothra (if known; if the gothra is not known indicate whether you would like to be called as Vishnu gothra or Shiva gothra based on your preference of Lord Shiva or Lord Vishnu as Favourite God) for this. You may subscribe to that performance (please note that this is necessary only if the eclipse is visible in your region), by clicking the button below:
Click here to order Performance of the Lunar eclipse remedy on December 10, 2011
Artilce by Pandit R.DAKSHINAMOORTHI